Collecting payments and information from groups oftentimes requires a transition from online payments to in-person (or point-of-sale) payments. Fortunately, Cheddar Up can serve both needs for group organizers – keeping all payments within one platform. Cheddar Up’s iOS and Android mobile apps and card readers create a seamless point-of-sale solution for group organizers.
Collect in-person payments
Cheddar Up has point-of-sale functionality built into its mobile apps. It’s perfect for collecting for events, camps, classes, etc., where an organizer might begin collecting payments online weeks in advance, but then need to collect more payments in-person the day of the event.
Collections created on Cheddar Up can be seamlessly managed across both its web platform and mobile apps, which means all funds (online and in-person) remain tracked and located in one spot.
Here’s how to collect using Cheddar Up’s point-of-sale functionality:
- If you haven’t already, download the Cheddar Up app (available in both iOS and Android).
- If you haven’t already, create a collection (using either our website or mobile app).
- Log into your Cheddar Up account on the the mobile app.
- Tap on the collection in which you plan to collect.
- Click the “Point of Sale” button.
You are now ready to start accepting point-of-sale payments.
- Tap the item(s) the customer is purchasing to add it to the cart.
- Click “Checkout”.
- If your collection has forms on it, you’ll be prompted to complete any required form fields, and click “Save”. If no forms exist, skip this step.
- Select the customer’s payment method – credit card or cash/check.
- Tap “Payer information for receipt” and enter the customer’s name and email and click “Save”.
Don't need to collect customer name and email? You can disable this required field. Learn more.
- Click the orange “Pay Now” button.
- Insert the Cheddar Up card reader and swipe the credit card. Or, if the customer is paying with cash or check, enter the amount tendered and the app will record the payment and calculate the customer’s change for you.
Don't have our awesome card reader? Learn how you can get one here. In addition, know that you have the option to scan most credit cards using your smart phone’s camera or enter the card number manually).
- Have the customer enter their signature on the device and click “Done Signing” when prompted (if you have signature enabled).
- Click “Add a New Payment” to accept your next POS payment.
Key Point-of-Sale Tips:
If efficiency is important to prevent long lines, consider taking the following actions:
- Eliminate as many item questions and form questions as possible (delete any fields that are not critical for in-person checkout).
- Consider disabling “Payer information for receipt”. If knowing the names and emails of your payers (and who bought what) is not critical, consider disabling these fields within Point-of-Sale Settings.
- Consider disabling customer signatures, which can be disabled within Point-of-Sale Settings.
See it in action:
If your customer is using a credit card with raised (or embossed) numbers, you have the option to scan the credit card information (as opposed to needing a credit card reader or entering the number manually).
To scan a credit card, after clicking “Pay Now” in the POS flow on the mobile app, click the “scan card” button. This will prompt you to give Cheddar Up access to your phone’s camera. Click “OK” to this request. Next, you’ll want to hold the credit card in the palm of your hand in front of your smart phone’s camera. Hold it until the card is outlined entirely in green, which indicates a successful scan.
Please note that scanning a credit card does NOT take a photo of the card. Instead, it simply replaces the job of a card reader and pulls in the credit card numbers to process the payment.