Need to allow others to accept point-of-sale payments on your collection? You can do this with Cheddar Up’s POS Codes. Simply create a POS Code for your collection and share it with those who need to accept in-person payments. Using the Cheddar Up mobile app, people can accept point-of-sale payments without ever needing the account owner's login credentials.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE:
- Create a POS Code
- See who's using your POS Code
- Deactivate your POS Code
- Use a POS Code to accept in-person payments
- Common questions
Create a POS Code
POS codes are perfect to share with people who are helping to accept in-person payments at a cookie booth, an event registration and more. It allows organizers to keep all payments tracked in one spot without any complicated onboarding process or learning curve for those accepting payments. It also allows organizers to keep login credentials secure. You can create a POS Code for a collection from the Cheddar Up website or mobile app.
To create a POS code from the WEBSITE, take the following steps:
- From the Share step of your collection, click on “POS Codes”.
- Click the “New POS Code” button, which will generate a POS Code below it.
- Click to share your POS Code using the icons to the right of your code. Here you have a few different options:
- Copy and share the code
Copy the POS Code by clicking the teal link icon. Share this POS Code along with instructions for people to first download the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app. Once downloaded, people can select “Have a POS Code? Take Payments” on the app’s home screen and manually enter or paste in the POS Code to start accepting payments.
- Send the code via email
Click the envelope icon to generate an email that will instruct people to download the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app and will include an embedded POS Code link. After downloading the mobile app, people can click the embedded POS Code link, which will fill in the appropriate POS Code, allowing them to start accepting payments.
- Share a QR code
Click the QR code icon and copy or download it. Share this QR code (via email, text, a print out, etc.) along with instructions for people to first download the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app. Once downloaded, people can scan the QR code, which will fill in the appropriate POS Code, allowing them to start accepting payments.
- Copy and share the code
To create a POS Code from the MOBILE APP, take the following steps:
- Once logged into your Cheddar Up account on the mobile app, tap the collection in which you want to create a POS Code and you will be taken to the Manage view.
- From the Manage view, click “Point of Sale (POS) Code” and toggle on “Share a POS Code”.
- Click the link icon next to your generated POS Code. Upon doing so, you’ll see several options for sharing the code. You can either:
- Select "copy"
You can click "Copy" on your smart phone’s menu bar and share the embedded POS Code link as you wish (email, text, etc.). Be sure to also instruct people to first download the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app. Once downloaded, people can click the link and the appropriate POS Code will pre-populate so they can start accepting payments.
- Select your messaging app
You can select the messaging app from your smart phone’s menu bar. This will send a text message with your embedded POS Code link. Once again, be sure to instruct people to download the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app prior to clicking the link.
- Select "copy"
See who's using your POS Code
Once you begin sharing your POS code, you can see who’s using your code within the POS Code section on the website. There, you’ll see a table appear that will show you who is using your code, when they last signed in, the number of transactions they’ve made and the total amount they’ve collected.
Deactivate your POS Code
At any time you can choose to deactivate your current POS Code by taking the following steps:
- From the Share step of your collection (on the Cheddar Up website), click on “POS Codes”.
- Below your POS Code, you will see a “Code status” drop down. To deactivate a code, select “Inactive” from this drop-down menu.
When a code is set to “Inactive”, people will no longer be able to accept in-person payments using that code.
Another way to limit people’s use of an existing code is to generate a new POS Code. You can do this by simply clicking the “New POS Code” button on either the website or mobile app. Doing so, will change your POS Code to something new. This means that anyone using the old code will no longer be able to do so.
When you generate a new POS Code, keep in mind that you’ll need to share it with anyone who you want to be able to accept in-person payments. Reasons to generate a new POS Code are primarily for security purposes, for example, if you have volunteers who may have a POS Code but who have moved on and are no longer working with your organization. When you generate a new POS Code, your POS Code user history table (on the website) will remain intact and new people using the new code will be added to your existing table.
Use a POS Code to accept in-person payments
Looking to accept point-of-sale payments using a POS Code that was sent to you? We’ll show you how:
- First, download the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app: iOS or Android
- If you received only a POS Code (12-digit code): On the mobile app's home screen where you see the Log In and Sign Up buttons, click the text that reads “Have a POS Code? Take Payments”. Then enter the POS Code that you received as well as your name and email and click “Continue”. This will take you to a simplified Manage view for the collection where you’ll see a prompt to begin taking point-of-sale payments.
- If you received an embedded POS Code link or QR code: After downloading the latest version of the mobile app, click the link (or scan the QR code). You will be taken to a view that will pre-populate your POS Code. From there, simply enter your name and email address and click “Continue” to proceed in taking point-of-sale payments.
Looking for more instructions on accepting point-of-sale payments? When using a POS Code, go here and start with step 6 for detailed instructions.
What we consistently see work well when an organizer needs to share a POS Code with many people (at larger events, for example) is to make sure that all volunteers have downloaded the latest version of the Cheddar Up mobile app prior to the event. Then, print out the QR Code and have it readily available during your in-person event. Then volunteers can do a quick scan upon arriving and be up and running in no time.